Those who work by day and by night

Lord Jesus, we give thanks for work, and for the many works you have given us to do. Hear our prayers on this day of rest, and strengthen us for the week ahead. We pray that you would be present with those who work by day, and those who work by night; those who work near, and those whose work carries them far away; and we pray for those who in this uncertain time have no job. We pray all of this knowing that your labors on our behalf never cease, and that your yoke is easy, and your burden is light. Amen.

I feel blessed to be able to work at the church where I worship.  Many times during the week I have reason to walk into the Nave.  Sometimes I just go in there because I can.  It's a quiet, welcoming space.  If the walls could talk, I would sit for hours and listen.  This church is 150 years old.  Many saints have come and gone.  It amazes me at the people who were baptized, married and buried here.  My work here feeds my soul. 

I had never given much thought to how people "labor" by day or by night until my husband had to close his business of 26 years and find another job.  It's hard to find a job when you are 57 years old.  After months and months of applying for jobs in his industry, obtaining a Master's degree in another discipline, and becoming totally frustrated with the whole process, he went to the technical college and earned a Commercial Driver's License certificate.  He is now driving a truck all around the country.  We worked side by side for over 20 years before I took this job.  We still could see each other at night.  I miss him.   We are grateful for the paycheck and the insurance and the other benefits this company has provided.  But it has opened my eyes to those "who work by day and those who work by night and those whose work carries them far away". 

There are people everywhere who are in jobs that are not what they aspired to be.  And yet, all of those jobs are services we need and, unfortunately, rarely appreciate in any kind of thoughtful way.   A lady in my church gives her garbage collector and mailman a Christmas gift every year.  That is putting some thought into it.  We depend on the people who provide those services.  

Look around as you go through your week.  Take notice in a thought provoking way of each and every service you use throughout the day.  Try to see those people "through Christ's eyes".   Take notice of that minimum-wage-worker.  A kind word goes a long way.  Remember in prayer those who "labor by day or by night" and give thanks for their gifts to you. 

Comments

Popular Posts