Gifts in the form of desert places

In the fleeting moments when we see with Christ’s eyes, we more clearly recognize that in addition to the bounty of skills and resources, God sends us gifts in the form of the desert places and the hard passages of life. Nothing is lost. It’s all gift, and in our partnering with God we are enabled to discover that. 

I am so fortunate to have the job I have.  I work in the church in which I worship.  My email inbox is filled with marvelous things to read and ponder each day.  Lately those emails have been more and more about stewardship.  That season is upon us when we must determine what our monetary gifts to the church will be.

Sometimes those emails are full of little nuggets like the one above.  Three short sentences that say so much so succinctly.  The part that really hit me is "God sends us gifts in the form of the desert places and the hard passages of life".  Sometimes I would prefer God not send me those gifts.  But when he does, when I can make myself see, I realize those desert places and hard passages of life truly are gifts.  Those desert places are the places where I must lean on Him more fully.  I think we all tend to depend on ourselves.  We have the attitude of "going it alone".  Somehow being self-sufficient is admirable.  And, in many ways, it is.

But there is something sacred about kneeling down, bowing one's head and giving it all up to God.  The desert doesn't seem like such a lonely and ominous place.  The hard passages of life are somehow softened.  And I'm not really sure why.  I am constantly in awe of the places where God
accompanies me. Some days I am in the desert emotionally.  I have hard decisions to make.  Difficult thoughts to process.  Loneliness to battle, not just physically but spiritually.   It is at those times that I must "partner with God" to discern His will for me.

The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with me this day and always.
St. Augustine's Prayer Book


Comments

Popular Posts