Standing on Holy Ground

Someone posted on Facebook today:
     "I do not have to go to Sacred Places in far-off lands.  The ground I stand on is holy."

That's easy for me to say.  I work in a church.  But what about when I leave church.  Many people create Holy spaces where they live.  "A hermit built his hut in a lonely place and made the place holy."  Is my home space or community space Holy.  I must make it so.  If my space is not Holy is it unholy?  What does it mean to be in an unholy space?  For me being in that unholy space is not living into my Baptismal vows.

Will you continue in the apostles' teaching and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in the prayers?
Will you persevere in resisting evil, and, whenever you fall into sin, repent and return to the Lord?
Will you proclaim by word and example the Good News of God in Christ?
Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving your neighbor as yourself?
Will you strive for justice and peace among all people, and respect the dignity of every human being?

And, of course, our answer to all of the questions is "I will, with God's help".

If we truly live in the apostles' teaching, pray, resist evil, repent, live as an example, love our neighbor, strive for justice and peace and respect every human being, the ground below us will be holy and those who are in contact with us will feel that holiness in their presence.  It is not us that are holy.  It is the Spirit of God whose arms surround us.  We must allow that holiness to come in so we can be seen as an example of God's love and grace.

Striving to live a penitent life helps us stand on holy ground. 

What a blessing it is to live and work on holy ground.  I pray that my day and yours will be filled with love and grace and holiness. 

Comments

Popular Posts