You are in the midst of us.

You are in the midst of us even when we leave this holy mountain.

Lord, you are in the midst if us and we are called you by your Name: Do not forsake us to O Lord, Our God. 
Jeremiah 14:9, 22

I'm a member of the Sewanee Church Musician's Conference, an organization of church musicians, that meets once each year at the University of the South in Sewanee, TN, to meet, greet, network, and most important of all, make really good music.  

One of the things I love about our week on the "Holy Mountain" is that we have church every day.  If you aren't Episcopalian, you may not know that we have Morning Prayer, Noonday Prayer, Evening Prayer, Compline, Holy Eucharist and a host of other services in between.  We have one of those services every single day that we are together in that sacred space.  Not everyone at the conference is Episcopalian.  It doesn't matter.  They seem to fall in love with the services, too.  

We didn't have a conference last year because of COVID.  It seems this year our conference will be virtual.  I'm not sure how that is going to work but I miss my people!  I miss the hugs and laughs and the awesome sound we create in that beautiful chapel, All Saints', when our voices join together and we harmonize and worship and praise God with our voices.  Even though we haven't seen each other in almost two years, I still feel connected to these people.  One of our members has gone through breast cancer.  I cried for her when I found out.  Another is dealing with some serious health issues but always has the best attitude.  I wish I knew his secret.  We are never ashamed to ask for prayers when we need them. Even when we are apart, we somehow come together to support each other over the miles.  

Being a church musician has been such a privilege to me.  God only knows where I'd be if it hadn't been for the gift of music.  I've made such good friends over the years in the many churches in which I have served.  One of the most important things music gave to me was the gift of becoming an Episcopalian.  You haven't sung church music until you have sung the beautiful hymns in the Episcopal Hymnal.  I never new such beauty existed.  

The other very special gift that being an Episcopal musician has given me is the Book of Common Prayer.  Sometimes I struggle when I pray.  I know God knows my heart but my words just won't make the sentences into something cohesive.  There seems to be a prayer for every occasion in the BCP.  I leave you with this one for Church Musicians and Artists:

O God, whom saints and angels delight to worship in heaven: Be ever present with your servants who seek through art and music to perfect the praises offered by your people on earth; and grant to them even now glimpses of your beauty, and make them worthy at length to behold it unveiled for evermore; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.


Comments

Popular Posts