The breaking of the bread.

Luke 24:35  Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread.

How many times have I marveled at the privilege of serving at the altar as a Eucharistic Minister!  Since I joined the Episcopal Church, receiving communion has taken on a new meaning.  It is something we do every Sunday.  We remember.   And in that remembering, I am reminded of all that Jesus Christ came to do while he walked this earth.  Not just that he ultimately came to hang on the cross and save us from our sins but he came to be an example of who we are to be now that he has gone.

Sometimes I laugh when I see a bumper sticker that says WWJD - what would Jesus do.  My husband says we need to be reminded that what Jesus would do sometimes included throwing people out of the synagogue and turning tables over and, well, basically pitching a fit.  The part of the scripture verse above that strikes me is "how he had been made known to them in the breaking of the bread."  Jesus came to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, minister to the poor.  He did that many times during the breaking of the bread. I am saddened by the political climate of the day that says we should not worry about those without food, or clothing, or medical care.  I am certain that attitude makes Jesus crazy and very sad.

Breaking of the bread is not just about food.  It is a symbol of inclusiveness with those around us.  Jesus fed 5,000 people on a hillside.  I'm sure he did not know each one personally.  But he broke bread with them, not only by feeding them physically, but spiritually.  If we are in a personal relationship with God, we have the ability to feed others spiritually.  We can do that by ministering to emotional needs, listening to broken hearts who have lost loves, lost hope, lost dreams.  We are symbolically breaking bread when we invite others into our circle. How blessed would we be if we daily invited someone new into our circle?  I am amazed at the times I have reluctantly invited someone into my circle only to be the one who probably received the bigger blessing.  Let's try, daily, to "break bread" with someone new, someone difficult, someone in need.

I think it is no accident that we "pass the peace" before communion each Sunday.  Then we are breaking bread with those with whom we are at peace.  Perhaps passing the peace can be done with those around us so that we are always prepared to break bread with those in need.

Give us grateful hearts, Our Father, for all thy mercies, and make us mindful of the needs of others; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen

Comments

Popular Posts